I vividly remember when the Melum family started attending our church. We were still meeting in the gym of an elementary school nearby. I remember someone, I'm not sure if it was our pastor during the service or if it was someone else during Sunday school, anyway someone told us that Eli had had to under go open heart surgery, ( he was seriously just a few days/ or weeks old.) Obviously I don't remember all of the details vividly but I remember exactly how I was feeling. I was so scared for this precious little baby and his family. I couldn't imagine how terrified his mommy and daddy must be. To have this precious new life that you have waited to meet finally here with you, and then the unthinkable... Your sweet baby had something terribly wrong. All we could do as a church family was pray for them. Pray for the doctors and especially for little Eli.
I honestly know very little about what Eli suffers from.. He has congenital heart disease. I am inspired by women who deal with things like eli's mommy has delt with, they are in a position where they can do nothing but cling to the promises of god, for he alone is the great physician.
Yesterday Angela gave me a little gift with one little job attached to it... To share on my blog. Here are some things I learned about Chd from angela's gift.
Congenital heart disease is a defect of the heart muscle
2 million Americans are living with Chd
Each year 40,000 more US babies are born with Chd... 8,000 of them won't live to see their first birthday
Here is the big one for me... Chd is the most common and most lethal birth defect world wide!
Thank you Angela, Jenn, and all of the moms out there that deal with illnesses with your children... I can't imagine what you go through on a daily basis. You are an encouragement to all of us.
Thank you so much for sharing this and passing it on. My hope is that others may learn just how common it is. It is ONLY by the grace of God that Eli is here.
ReplyDelete