Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Noah and his seizures

I was very surprised to get a call last week from Swedish Pediatric Neuroscience... we had an appointment scheduled with them for the middle of June, anyway They were wanting to see Noah that week! I was totally unprepared, I thought we had over a month till we were going to be there for our second opinion! Originally our appointment was scheduled after Noah had an EEG at the hospital, I was so upset about the EEG because our previous experience was so awful! It had been 2 years since and I certainly didn't want to re-live that experience with my son! The doctor wanted to see Noah even without having the EEG, ( we could schedule that after...)
So off we went, we dropped Joshua off with Aunt Cammie and baby Matthew and made the trek to downtown Seattle. It is so unnerving, going to a place for the first time, how do we get there?where do we park? Do we have to pay to park? what if were late? Anyway we got there in plenty of time, checked in, and I actually spoke to the man who made our appointment, it was great to know that the man who called to schedule Noah's appointment was the same man who answers all of the phones, and will no doubt answer when I call with a question/concern, or when Noah has another seizure. Our appointment was wonderful, all of our questions were answered and then some! We were listened to, and I truly felt that our doctor understood Noah. We will be going to the hospital for a 2 day EEG... ugh... 2 days!!!!! How on earth does that work with a 3 year old, oh and by the way I am still nursing Joshua so this will be interesting! Micah will have to be with us for most of the time during the day, I suppose it will be another adventure for us. Noah's doctor suspects that Noah is still having seizures, that we just aren't seeing them. I actually think that this is very possible. There are many times when I watch Noah and he does some weird movement, or stares off for just a few seconds and I think, man that looks like a seizure, but he cant be having seizure activity, he is on medication! But maybe he is... So i guess this EEG is a good idea, just overwhelming to me. After the EEG our doctor will determine the best way to help Noah, regardless of what the EEG reveals, Noah's medicine will be changed! Praise the Lord! his new medication has virtually no side effects, and wont cause any harm to his liver, which his medication he is on now has been known to do. The transition will take 6 months of gradually weaning him onto the new and off of the old, for several months he will be on double the amount of meds... I don't really know what that will look like, praying that the EEG will be the hardest part of this. Sorry, this is mostly my heart and thoughts that have been just swimming around in my head for days that I am finally putting into words, not a very interesting or fun post, I will have one of those soon. Thank you for your prayers! I am so excited for what the Lord has in store for my sweet boy, obviously I pray that the seizures will go away, but even if they don't God loves him even more than i do. He knows our every trial, and every tear we shed, such a comfort.

4 comments:

  1. So happy you are going to have some answers Lyndie! You are such a great Mama to your boys. I am sorry you have to endure this but am encouraged by your transparency and knowledge that HE has Noah and knows the end to each of our stories... Praying for your little guy and your family. Love Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lyndie, I love you.
    I'm so thankful this doctor listened to your concerns/thoughts.
    I've been in prayer for you guys and Noah.
    Thankful to have you in my life!!!!
    P.S
    I missed you last night

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO thankful that you were able to put your heart to words! I am also thankful they saw you early and that they have a plan you are excited about! We are praying over the EEG and trust that it will be so much better then before. You are right it is not a "interesting or fun post" but it is an important post because it is part of your life and allows others to know how to pray.
    We love you and will continue to pray over all that is ahead.
    Love Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lyndie, I'm so thankful you're finally getting to move forward with this! My brother suffers from seizures (non epileptic) and he spent a whole week on an EEG. For him, they gave him a room to live in with a tv to watch and stuff to do, and he was basically able to just hang out and do what he wanted to in the room while doctors watched the monitors from another room. It wasn't really all that bad, he'll just have to adjust to being wired up. If you need any help let me know! I love you! :-)

    ReplyDelete